Fibromyalgia is a chronic disease characterized by pain and fatigue. It causes severe pain in muscles, ligaments and tendons. Certain spots of the body hurt when you put pressure on them. These points are called tender points. There are around 18 tender points in the body. A person suffering from this disease shall be having pain in at least 11 points or more.
This disease is also called fibrositis. Although a set of symptoms has been observed in the people suffering from fibromyalgia, the doctors and researchers have not been able to find a definite cause for this disease.
Some common symptoms of fibromyalgia are:
* Increased sensitivity to pain is the main symptom of this disease. There is constant pain and burning sensation in different parts of the body.
* 90 per cent of the people feel tired and fatigued. The severity varies from person to person. In worst cases, people are unable to carry on their daily chores. People suffer from sleep disorder and that can be worse than insomnia.
* People suffering from this disease have increased sensitivity to sound, bright lights, odors, certain types of medications and to various foods.
* More than 50 percent of fibromyalgia patients suffer from severe headache or migraine.
* One third of the people facing fibrositis experience jaw pain. The pain is related to the muscles and ligaments surrounding the jaw joints.
* Some people have problem in concentrating and retaining new information. This symptom is referred to as “fibro fog”. They suffer from memory loss and depression.
* Muscle tightening, blurred vision, dizziness and nausea are some of the common symptoms that are observed among the patients.
* Almost half of the people with fibromyalgia suffer from constipation, diarrhea, frequent abdominal pain and bloating.
If you are dealing with these symptoms everyday, then you need to consult a doctor immediately. Proper treatment and medication will help you to live a normal and healthy life.